Torah Crown


Torah Crown, 1698-99, Bolzano, Italy (The Jewish Museum, New York) “Originally dedicated to an Italian synagogue in 1698/99, this crown was later plundered during a Russian pogrom and then recovered. It became part of the collection of the Great Synagogue of Danzig in the early 20th century. In 1939, it was sent to the Jewish Theological seminary in New York for safekeeping when the Nazis' rise to power forced the Danzig Jewish community to disband.”

Torah Crown, 1698-99, Bolzano, Italy (The Jewish Museum, New York) “Originally dedicated to an Italian synagogue in 1698/99, this crown was later plundered during a Russian pogrom and then recovered. It became part of the collection of the Great Synagogue of Danzig in the early 20th century. In 1939, it was sent to the Jewish Theological seminary in New York for safekeeping when the Nazis’ rise to power forced the Danzig Jewish community to disband.”

Cite this page as: Gwen Shaw, "Torah Crown," in Smarthistory, December 19, 2015, accessed May 21, 2018, https://smarthistory.org/jewish-history-1750-to-ww-ii/screen-shot-2015-12-18-at-7-17-52-pm/.