For the classroom
Discussion questions that Dr. Macaulay-Lewis uses to get students to do close looking at the Dome of the Rock:
- What evidence do we have for the building that dates to the late 7th century?
- How do the iconography of mosaics relate to Byzantine, Sassanian, and Late Antique Traditions?
- Why is monumental architecture so important in early Islam?
- How does the plan, form, and decoration of the Dome of the Rock relate to other important Christian monuments in the region?
- Why do scholars think the Dome of the Rock was built in the late 7th Century? What does the building mean today? Why do you think this has changed over time?
- Is Islamic Art anionic?