An ironwork cross almost 3m high was the uppermost feature of a magnificent screen in Salisbury Cathedral, designed by G G Scott and made by Francis Skidmore, erected in about 1870. The screen was taken down in 1959 and mostly sold, but the cross survived. Its surface was rusty and corroded, but small traces of original distinctive red paint and gilding remained. Painstakingly the cross was taken apart and each piece cleaned using dry ice, then repainted and gilded. Replacement parts were made using the latest digital technology. The restored cross was reassembled and is now a dazzling highlight of the ironwork galleries.
Video from the Victoria and Albert Museum