Claus Sluter (with Claus de Werve), The Well of Moses, 1395-1405 (Calvary finished 1399, prophets 1402-05, painted by Jean Malouel c. 1402), Asnières stone with gilding and polychromy, slightly less than 7 meters high, originally close to 13 meters with cross
This work is located on the grounds of the former Chartreuse de Champmol, a Carthusian monastery in Dijon, France, established by Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy. The prophets depicted include: Moses, David, Jeremiah, Zachariah, Daniel, and Isaiah.
Smarthistory images for teaching and learning:
More Smarthistory images…