Andrea Pozzo, Saint Ignatius Chapel in the left transept of the church, Il Gesù, Rome (commissioned in 1695). Many artists contributed, including Alessandro Algardi, Pierre Legros, Bernardino Ludovisi, Il Lorenzone and Jean-Baptiste Théodon. Materials include bronze, gold, silver, and many semiprecious stones, most notably lapis lazuli. This video was produced in cooperation with our partners at Context Travel.
Smarthistory images for teaching and learning:
More Smarthistory images…
Cite this page as: Frank Dabell, Dr. Beth Harris and Dr. Steven Zucker, "Andrea Pozzo, St. Ignatius Chapel, Il Gesù, Rome," in Smarthistory
, November 18, 2015, accessed October 15, 2019, https://smarthistory.org/pozzo-st-ignatius-chapel-il-gesu-rome/